Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile Previous Previous Next Next
What the hell are those called?? - GROWL — LiveJournal
What the hell are those called??
So, have the day off, and I'm currently enjoying a bout of writing...

But I can't recall what the name of the side of a pair of glasses is called! Guh! I've tried googling... nothing. I've tried calling people who wear glasses... no one is answering.


So, the side of the glasses where there's the plastic that wraps around your ear so they don't fall off? There's got to be a name for that long piece on each side and I've just forgotten it, right?

If anyone knows what I'm babbling about, please save me in a comment!

Current Music: Bond - "Libertango"

10 purrs or Purr for me
From: laechim Date: June 19th, 2007 08:48 pm (UTC) (Link)
I think they are called 'Earpieces.' You can get reasonable Google results on that. Sorta.

ninjadebugger From: ninjadebugger Date: June 19th, 2007 08:52 pm (UTC) (Link)
mecha's right, the only name I've ever heard for them is earpieces.
miggy From: miggy Date: June 19th, 2007 08:57 pm (UTC) (Link)
So, have the day off

ifritah From: ifritah Date: June 20th, 2007 07:50 pm (UTC) (Link)
Hee hee. Yes, I will enjoying saying that far more often now!
From: pirateday Date: June 19th, 2007 09:12 pm (UTC) (Link)
The 'temple' because that is usually about where it starts.

It's refered to as the temple here as well (http://www.allynscura.com/faqs.htm) that is an FAQ on vintage eyglass frames and what kind of lenses can be placed in them.

The parent site (http://www.allynscura.com/) is all about vintage glasses.

This place (http://www.alibaba.com/catalogs/361240/Eyeglasses_Parts.html) offers the sale of "temple tips". That is the plastic piece that covers the ends of the temple piece.

That should provide enough proof. Sorry if you go tmy voicemail, my phone has been dead all day :P
From: pirateday Date: June 19th, 2007 09:14 pm (UTC) (Link)
If you throw out a Google search for 'eyeglass temple' you get all kinds of results. I found it refered to as such when doing searches for "eyeglass diagram" and "eyeglass parts".

rune_karidan From: rune_karidan Date: June 19th, 2007 09:52 pm (UTC) (Link)
I've always known them simply as frames - but pirateday's definition makes sense for the part of the frame that goes behind the ears. Either way I think reader's would get it - just depends on how specific you wanted to be :)
betacandy From: betacandy Date: June 20th, 2007 04:32 am (UTC) (Link)
I call them Bob (left) and June (right).

Doesn't everyone?
lirazel From: lirazel Date: June 21st, 2007 02:11 pm (UTC) (Link)
I'm a glasses-wearer, and I would say, "I folded my glasses and put them in my pocket." Or, "She folded up her glasses and put them on her bedside table, beside the light. Another thing she had done for the last 20 years..."

This is mostly because the days when glasses folded in the middle over the bridge are long gone, so anyone understands what folding one's glasses means. No need to name the particular bits that fold.
ifritah From: ifritah Date: June 21st, 2007 03:29 pm (UTC) (Link)
You know, that's a very good point.

I was doing that over-thinking thing that I tend to do! Funny thing is, while I was typing, that was my first initial thought... but then I started over-analyzing how that sounded, that it might be confusing, blah blah.

But yeah, instead of using 'frames', I think just going for the obvious would work just fine!

Thanks! ^^
10 purrs or Purr for me